The King’s College London Africa Studentships Program is open to qualified students from Africa who seek to understand how fashion producers in Africa use knowledge, technology, capital and inputs to create social, economic and cultural value for domestic and global markets, and how this influences socioeconomic change. Successful candidates for the program are set to receive full funding to UK. Interested students should apply before the deadline.
The project aims to move beyond visions of Africa as resource-constrained to focus on creativity, ideas and innovation, including in sustainability, emerging across the continent. The PhD will focus on generating new data on fashion economies relevant to industry and pursue concept-building on lead firms in the global South.
The studentship covers the following for four years:
- Tuition fees at the higher international/overseas rate;
- An annual stipend (living allowance): at the UKRI rate (set at £19,688);
- Research costs up to £5,000 per annum.
The following conditions are required for an applicant to be qualified for the King’s College London Africa Studentship:
- Be African nationals and permanently resident in an African country;
- Plan to commence a full-time MPhil/PhD programme at King’s College London in the current academic year.
- Meet the academic requirements for enrolment for the PhD degree in the Faculty of Social Science and Policy at King’s College London.
- Hold or expect to obtain a High Merit or Distinction at Master’s level (or equivalent) in any subject.
- Disciplinary areas of particular relevance would include but not be limited to: International Political Economy; Political Economy; Fashion Management; Business; Development Studies; Culture, Media & Creative Industries; Policy; Sociology; Geography; Social Sciences.
- A strong interest in fashion and the creative economy (academic, professional, personal).
- Good team-working, observational, organisation and communication skills.
- Experience of qualitative and quantitative methods.
Check Also: NBS Masters Better Business Scholarships in UK
Intending candidates for the King’s College London Africa Studentships are required to apply online and send all required documents via email to Dr Ikpe and Dr England prior to applying through the KCL portal.
Submission Deadline: June 30.