The Katherine Mansfield Menton Fellowship Program is exclusively open to creative writer from New Zealand. Fellows will spend three months in Menton in southern France to work on a project or projects. The fellowhip is fully – funded program covering up to $35,000.
Katherine Mansfield Menton Fellowship Program is for an establsihed cretive writer to spend three months in Menton in southern France to work on a project or projects. The successful applicants will become an Arts Foundation Laureate. For fifty years, since 1970, the Fellowship has allowed a New Zealand writer to live and write for three months or more in Menton in southern France. There, they have access to the writing room in Villa Isola Bella where Katherine Mansfield once lived and worked.
The winning fellows will receive benefit of a grant of $35,000 to cover all costs including travel to Menton, insurance, living and accommodation costs. $15,000 is paid when your itinerary and insurance is confirmed, with $10,000 payments usually made in month two and three of the residency, assuming the Fellow remains in residency through this period. A room beneath the terrace of Villa Isola Bella is available for use as a study.
Level & Area of Studies
Research program in the area of literature.
Place of study
The program will be taken at Menton in southern France.
Eligibility and Requirements
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who has lived continuously in New Zealand for three years prior to making the application (this requirement excludes any short trips out of the country)
- be a professional practising writer with a record of achievement
- have the ability to produce a work of substantial literary quality if awarded the Fellowship
- have the potential to be an ambassador for New Zealand and for New Zealand literature.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your application and include:
- Cover sheet and Conditions of the Fellowship, signed (download below).
- A covering letter.
- A written proposal of the work to be undertaken in Menton.
- Details on how this residency will develop your career, provide a new direction or otherwise impact on your work.
- Résumé/Literary CV listing published work, awards, etc and professional history.
- Any supporting material e.g. references, letters of support.
- Any other information you consider relevant.