The University of Oxford is offering a very demanding scholarship, Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS) Scholarship, for full time graduate degrees in the field of Islamic Studies. You must be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and from a Muslim community or in Asia and Africa. The scholarship will cover all of the academic needs and living cost of the successful applicants.
These scholarships have been established by the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies to allow graduates to pursue study of benefit to the Muslim world.
The Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies is a Recognized Independent Centre of the University of Oxford. It was established in 1985 to encourage the scholarly study of Islam and the Islamic world. The Centre provides a meeting point for the Western and Islamic worlds of learning. At Oxford, it contributes to the multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary study of the Islamic world. Beyond Oxford, its role is strengthened by an international network of academic contacts. For more information, please refer to the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies website.
The scholarship will cover 100% of University and college fees and a grant for living costs.
Level and Area of Studies
The scholarships are targeted to graduate students studying Islamic Studies.
Place of Study: Oxford University in the United Kingdom
Eligibility and Criteria
You should be applying to start a new graduate course at Oxford.
You must be either:
- ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and from a Muslim community (with preference given to those from a financially disadvantaged household), or a national of, and ordinarily resident in, one of Islamic countries.
- You should be intending to return to your country of ordinary residence once your course is completed. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit.
- You should be intending to undertake study in a field derived from or of relevance to the Islamic tradition, which is of relevance and/or benefit to the Muslim world.
Please ensure that you meet the selection criteria for your course (see the Courses page for more information).
- This scholarship is not open to candidates applying for postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma courses, part-time courses or non-matriculated courses.
Applicants’ Nationality: Islamic countries.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must select the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarships in the Funding section of the University’s graduate application form and submit your application for graduate study by the relevant January deadline for your course.
- You must also complete an Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarships Supporting Statement (see Related documents on this page) and upload it, together with your graduate application form, by the deadline, in order for your application to be complete.
- If you do not apply in full by the deadline, you will not be considered for this scholarship, even if you have selected the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarships on the graduate application form.
Relevant January deadline for your course.