The EPIWATCH Fiji MAE Scholarship is now open for applications to students from all over the world who are in the Public Health profession, and specifically interested in undertaking a Master of Philosophy in Applied Epidemiology (MAE) program at the Australian National University. This scholarship supports capacity-building research and training for Epidemiologists globally. Awarded scholars receive full supports and stipends up to $40,000 per annum.
EPIWATCH Fiji MAE Scholarship for Applied Epidemiology: The National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health (NCEPH) at the ANU College of Health and Medicine (College) may offer up to one award in 2023, known as the Fiji-Australia Applied Epidemiology Scholarship, to undertake the Master of Philosophy in Applied Epidemiology (MAE) program at the Australian National University (University).
The Fiji-Australia Applied Epidemiology Scholarship aims to strengthen cross-border collaboration in order to be best prepared to respond quickly to the health threats of the future. The Award enables delivery of capacity-building research and training in Fiji, thus fostering professional development of a field epidemiologist to detect and respond to disease outbreaks. The Award is offered to support a successful candidate from Fiji, to complete the MAE program at ANU, and a field placement in their own country, as well as a short-term placement at the Kirby Institute, UNSW, on EPIWATCH (https://www.epiwatch.org/).
The Fiji-Australia Applied Epidemiology Scholarship is part of a collaboration between NCEPH and the Shiba Inu Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) Initiative for EPIWATCH at UNSW’s Kirby Institute, to prevent future global pandemics. The OSINT Initiative is funded by the Balvi Filantropic Fund and led by UNSW’s Kirby Institute. Shiba Inu OSINT will use open-source data and artificial intelligence to create early warning signals for outbreaks, and is being developed for use in low- and middle-income countries.
See Also: Australian Government Research Training Program (AGRTP) Stipend Scholarship
Level and Area of study
Master of Philosophy in Applied Epidemiology
Award Benefits | EPIWATCH Fiji MAE Scholarship
- Annual Stipend:
- $40,000pa (2023 – with 3.5% increase in 2024 on a pro-rata basis of scholarship duration) and Frequency of payment (Fortnightly)
- Duration (22 months)
- International Student Fees:
- Successful international candidates will be recommended for a HDR Fee Remission Merit Scholarship, to cover the International Student Fees for the standard duration of the Higher Degree Research (HDR) program, subject to the recipient being ranked as competitive in a merit-based selection process.
- Student Amenities Fees: Will be covered.
- Student Visa Fees: Will be covered.
- Insurance (OSHC): Recipient only will be covered.
- Course block: Recipient travel and accommodation costs will be covered for course-block attendance to Canberra, Australia, and for attending the final viva.
- Field-work support (in country travel): Will be covered (up to $2,520 by reimbursement).
- IT support: Laptop and relevant software will be provided.
- Conference Allowance: Recipient will be entitled to up to $2,000 AUD.
- Thesis Allowance: Up to $420 AUD.
- Relocation Costs: Up to $2,000 AUD (International) and up to $10,000 AUD (Domestic), if applicable. Relocation costs for family members capped at $2,000 AUD.
- Paid Recreation Leave: Recipients are entitled to a maximum of 20 working days paid recreation leave for each year of the Award.
- Paid Medical/Career/Personal Leave: Recipients are entitled to a maximum of 10 working days paid medical/career/personal leave for each year of the Award. Leave entitlements maybe accrued over the life of the Award, but are forfeited when the Award ceases.
Eligibility Criteria | EPIWATCH Fiji MAE Scholarship
The Award is available to a prospective ANU student who:
- is enrolling full-time in a program of study for the degree of Master of Philosophy in Applied Epidemiology, based in the College of Health and Medicine; and
- has demonstrated H1 equivalence; and
- is a citizen of Fiji in the year of application; and
qualifies for the relevant visa, if required.
Also Check: IST-BRIDGE International Postdoctoral Program in Austria (Fully Funded)
How-To-Apply: Applicants are considered automatically for the EPIWATCH Fiji MAE Scholarship upon application to the MAE program.