The call for EDGE of Existence Fellowships applications is now open to Early-career Conservation Biologists or wildlife managers applicants who are the Future Conservation Leaders. Applications are currently being received from the Africa region in 2022. The fellows will receive full funding, Conservation training and grants of £10,000 to undertake a 2-year project on a top-priority EDGE species, amongst many other supports.
One of the most effective ways ZSL’s EDGE of Existence programme is working to secure the future of EDGE species is by awarding two-year EDGE of Existence Fellowships to future conservation leaders (“EDGE Fellows”) working on poorly-known EDGE fish, gymnosperms, bird, mammal, amphibian, reptile, shark or ray species. ZSL’s EDGE of Existence Programme is supported by Fondation Franklinia, focused on sustainable environment.
The two-year Fellowship comprises of:
- A 4-week Conservation Tools training course at the beginning of the programme to provide Fellows with essential training in techniques to plan and implement their project;
- A grant of £10,000 to undertake a 2-year project on a top-priority EDGE species;
- Ongoing technical support via online modules, web-based tutorials/seminars, and field visits throughout the Fellowship;
- One-to-one support from a scientific advisor based at ZSL or a partner organisation;
- A 2-week Conservation Leadership training course in London on successful completion of Fellowship to help Fellows prepare for the next stage of their career.
You may be eligible for the EDGE of Existence Fellowships if you:
- Focus your work on an EDGE species included on the 2022 curated list.
- Are an early-career conservation biologist or wildlife manager (less than 10 years’ experience).
- Are a resident of a country in which the proposed focal species occurs.
Applicants for this EDGE of Existence Fellowships should:
- Read this document.
- Check your eligibility and your species.
- Complete the application in English.
- Prepare other required documentation.
- Arrange for two references, one of which must be from your in-country supervisor. Submit your application.
EDGE Fellowship Documentation:
- Completed and signed application form
- A copy of your CV (no more than 2 A4 sides)
- A recent photograph of yourself
- A map of your project site.
- A copy of your risk assessment (using the ZSL template).
- Evidence of English competency (only if English is not your first language).
- Proof of your SCUBA diving skills (a scanned copy of your qualification card/certificate is sufficient) (if applicable).
- You must arrange for two letters of support from referees to be emailed to the same address, with your name as the subject of the email in the same timeframe. These should be in word or PDF format, and not in the body of an email.
Also Check: Scotland Government Scholarships without IELTS
Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their projects with the EDGE team before applying, and we will be happy to provide feedback on draft applications submitted at least 3 weeks before the deadline.
Application deadline: 17th July.
All applications for the EDGE of Existence Fellowships will be reviewed by a panel of experts. Applicants will be informed in October of the decision.