Siemens Stiftung on behalf of the Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA) Consortium has launched its first “SESA Call for Entrepreneurs”, targeting small and medium-sized enterprises with a focus on sustainable energy solutions in Ghana, Malawi, Morocco and South Africa. Women-led enterprises are particularly encouraged to apply. Selected Entrepreneurs stand to benefit up to €70,000 per business over 18 months.
SESA Call for Entrepreneurs | Reliable, affordable, and sustainable energy access has been a challenge for rural communities in Africa. SESA is a European Commission-funded project, aimed at testing, validating and replicating innovative solutions as well as business models to accelerate the green transition across the African continent. It was launched in October 2021 with a duration of 48 months and is operational in nine African countries: Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa and Tanzania.
Energy access for productive use that creates value, by increasing productivity or income, and job creation is strongly correlated with economic development in rural areas. This “Call for Entrepreneurs” focuses primarily on the Productive Use of Energy (PUE) solutions. Each of the four participating countries: Ghana, Malawi, Morocco and South Africa has developed an individual country challenge with a stronger local focus, concentrated in specific areas to address their regional dynamics.
Benefits | SESA Call for Entrepreneurs
Entrepreneurs selected through this call will receive a range of benefits including funding from €50,000 up to €70,000 per business over 18 months. Additionally, they get an opportunity to join the SESA Incubator Programme to strengthen their organisation based on their individual needs.
Siemens Stiftung, with funding from the European Commission.
Level and Areas of Engagement
Women Entrepreneurs at any level
Focus and Eligibility | SESA Call for Entrepreneurs
- The call leverages social entrepreneurs’ talents, skills, and innovations to not only address climate change but also pave the way for social and economic development in rural areas.
- Women are at the heart of this transformation. Supporting female-led enterprises enables the inclusion of vulnerable groups more at a climate risk, and in the process accelerates the realisation of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.”
- Productive Use of Energy (PUE) solutions.
Why Apply for this Call?
SESA partner and founder of Going Green Malawi, Ms. Chikondi Khonje encourages fellow entrepreneurs: “Applying for this call provides you with the opportunity to expand your business without any stress of loan repayment. It will also give you wings to reach new heights faster by exposing you to potential business mentors, partners, and investors.”
How-To-Apply: To apply for the SESA Call for Entrepreneurs program:
- Link up to the official application webpage and read up all the instruction.
- Use the “Apply Now” tab to apply.
- Supply all the needed information.
Application Deadline: Apply until 20th November.