Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships invite applications from suitably qualified young African students to undertake a fully funded taught Master’s programmes at the University of Oxford. The Scholarship funds a rigorous one-year taught Master’s course at Oxford aimed at equipping the Scholars with relevant technical, entrepreneurial and leadership skills and connecting them to world-leading resources in their respective sectors.
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship programme is an innovative and ambitious partnership under the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program and the Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx). The partnership is set to provide 400 young African scholars with a fully-funded opportunity to pursue taught Masters degrees in programmes related to pandemic preparedness and recovery at the University of Oxford.
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship programme supports passionate, locally rooted and globally minded African young people to undertake graduate studies at the University of Oxford. The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship programme is grounded in the Mastercard Foundation, and AfOx shared values of collegiality, empathy, commitment, inclusion and community. The Scholarship is part of the broader AfOx Graduate Scholars Program, which aims to support African students to access opportunities at Oxford and to thrive both during and after their time at the University.
- The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship programme is fully funded.
- Each Scholar will benefit from the highest calibre training in specific disciplines critical to solving pressing problems, including food systems, health sciences, sustainable water and energy systems, governance and public policy, and entrepreneurship, among others.
Level and Areas of Study
Master’s in various disciplines, including global health, engineering, public policy, law, and refugees and forced migration Studies.
The Mastercard Foundation Afox scholarship specifically emphasizes:
- Groups who have historically been under-represented, including but not limited to female scholars, people from refugee and displaced backgrounds and scholars with accessibility needs.
- A cohort of 20 Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholars studying various academic disciplines, including global health, engineering, public policy, law, and refugees and forced migration Studies, began their studies in the 2022 academic year.
- This group of emerging African leaders come from 13 African counties and are members of 9 Oxford colleges.
Also Check: Oxford Rhodes Scholarships in UK
How-To-Apply: If you are applying for this Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship,
- To be considered for this scholarship, submit your application to the University of Oxford via the graduate admissions portal by the deadline for your chosen course of study and indicate that you wish to apply for AfOx funding.
- The Oxford University Masters application fee of £75 is waived upon request for many low-income countries – refer to the application fee waiver section.
- Eligible candidates who receive a conditional offer from their course will be then invited to apply for the AfOx Graduate Scholarship Program. All invited candidates will be expected to fill in the AfOx Graduate Scholarship questionnaire during the application process.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed virtually before decisions are made, and the timelines will be communicated at the interview stage.
- We recommend that you reference the FAQs for clarity in any areas of concern before you start the application.