The Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships is open for early career researchers, with a research record but who have not yet held a full-time permanent academic post, to undertake a significant piece of publishable work.
The Fellowships are meant to aid development of those building an academic career within the UK, and can be held at universities or at other institutions of higher education in the UK.
The Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships are intended to assist those at a relatively early stage of their academic careers, and it is hoped that the appointment would lead to a more permanent position for the individual, either within the same or another institution.
The intention is to support and help build the career development of those in the academic career within the UK.
The Trust will contribute 100% of each Fellow’s total salary costs up to a maximum of £50,000 in year one of the award. The Trust will then contribute 50% of the Fellow’s total salary costs up to a maximum of £25,000 in years two and three, with the balance to be paid by the host institution. The Trust’s maximum annual contribution will be pro-rated if the Fellowship is held on a part-time basis. Each Fellow may request up to £6,000 per annum in research expenses to further his or her research activities.
Level and Area of Research
Doctorate in the areas of Teaching and Research.
See Also: Leverhulme Study Abroad Studentships
Fellowships are tenable for 3 years on a full-time basis. The Trust will support requests to hold the award part-time over a proportionately longer period for health-related reasons, disability or childcare commitments.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applicants must not yet have held a full-time permanent academic post in a UK university or comparable UK institution, nor may Fellows hold such a post concurrently with the Early Career Fellowship.
- The Trust will consider applications from candidates whose permanent post does not include any research.
- Those in receipt of a stipendiary Fellowship may not hold this at the same time as an Early Career Fellowship.
- Applicants who have existing funding in place for a duration equivalent to or greater than the duration of the Early Career Fellowship should not apply.
- All candidates must hold a doctorate or have equivalent research experience by the time they take up the Fellowship.
- Those who are or have been registered for a doctorate at any time may apply only if they have submitted their doctoral thesis for viva voce examination by 4pm on the closing date.
- Candidates must not be registered for degrees, professional or vocational qualifications at the time of commencing the Fellowship.
- Applicants must either hold a degree (any degree) from a UK higher education institution at the time of taking up the Fellowship or at the time of the application deadline must hold an academic position in the UK (e.g., fixed-term lectureship, fellowship) which commenced no less than 4 months prior to the closing date.
Before applying for this fellowship, kindly download the Guidance for Applicants PDF. To make an application, please access the Leverhulme Trust Grants Management System.
Also, when completing the online application form, please refer to the Application Help Notes.
Also Check: Lindemann Trust Fellowship Program in USA