Harvard Academy Scholars Program is for a two-year, in-residence, PhD or Doctoral fellowship at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, to undertake sustained projects of research in the social sciences. Applications are currently being received.
The Harvard Academy Scholars Program are for a selected community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and originality.
The Doctoral Academy Scholars Program of the Harvard University identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences or law with a command of the language and history or culture of countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
Recipients of the doctoral Harvard Academy Scholars awards will receive an annual stipend of $75,000 for two years. This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
Level and Area of Studies
- Post-doctoral and Doctoral Candidates
- Social Sciences or Law
Eligibility and Criteria
These Academy Scholars awards are open only to:
- Recent PhD (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences or law.
- Scholars nearing dissertation completion, they must be able to submit their degree conferral documentation issued by their university’s registrar’s office by June 30, 2023 for an August 1 start date. Individuals who hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
The Selection Committee considers all applicants in one applicant pool.
Eligible applicants for the Harvard Academy Scholars program must submit all application materials by the deadline of September 23, 2023.
The completed application will include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume; including list of publications
- Research proposal (2000 words maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., PhD dissertation chapter or peer-reviewed academic journal article); only ONE sample may be submitted and it must be in English
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application)
Letters of recommendation must be uploaded by the deadline.
All parts of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, are submitted online as PDF documents. Please note that a full application packet must not exceed 10MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
The online application is accessed through the homepage of The Harvard Academy’s website. To access the application, click on the APPLY ONLINE button.