The Global Master’s Scholarship offering is a major scholarship open for international students to apply. This is an award of £10,000 to provide support for students undertaking their study at the University of Birmingham.
Birmingham has a proud heritage of removing barriers to education to enable the most academically talented students to fulfil their potential in learning and education.
In keeping with this tradition of our institution, we are proud to launch the Global Master’s Scholarship to attract and support the most academically talented international students from across the world to our Masters degrees for the academic year.
The award value will be up to £10,000 GBP. This award will be deducted from the total tuition fees owed by each successful scholar.
Number of Awards
Approximately 40 scholarships will be awarded.
Level and Area of Study
Master’s degrees in any fields of study.
Place of Study
The University of Birmingham UK Campus.
All taught Master’s programmes are eligible for this scholarship, with the exception of programmes in the Birmingham Business School, for which there are separate MSc and MBA scholarships on offer.
Candidates must therefore:
- Have received, and accepted, an offer of admission for a taught Master’s degree at the University of Birmingham UK Campus to study in the academic year.
- Be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the eligible countries.
- Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee purposes.
- Start their studies at the University in September/ October on a course delivered on-campus.
- Have paid the standard £2,000 Admissions deposit by 30 June.
- Be academically exceptional and able to provide evidence for this in the scholarship application statement. Candidates should have, or be expecting to achieve, a first-class overall grade (at least 70% in the UK system) in a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
For example, we consider a UK first class degree to be equivalent to the following grading systems in the US, India, Nigeria and China:
- 3.5 out of 4.0 and above in the US GPA system.
- 70% in the Indian grading system
- 3.5 (out of 4.0) or 4.5 (out of 5.0) or 6.2 (out of 7.0) in the Nigerian grading system
- 85% grade awarded by a top tier Chinese University, 90% grade awarded by a mid-tier Chinese University
Students in receipt of a full scholarship or sponsorship covering full tuition fees from an alternative internal or external source are not eligible for this scholarship. Those with other partial awards may be able to conjoin this scholarship with other scholarships.
Candidates must be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the following countries:
Algeria; Canada; China (PRC); Egypt; Ghana; Hong Kong (SAR of PRC); India; Indonesia; Kenya; Malawi; Mauritius; Morocco; Nigeria; Pakistan; Seychelles; Taiwan; Tanzania; Thailand; Tunisia; Uganda; United States of America; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
- If you decide to defer your programme start date to September following year, you will no longer be eligible for this scholarship as it is only available for programmes in the current year.
- Students applying for programmes in the Birmingham Business School are not eligible for this scholarship but are eligible for other separate MSc and MBA scholarships offered by the Business School.
- Students seeking to study on a course solely delivered as a ‘distance learning’ programme are not eligible for this scholarship.
The Global Master’s Scholarship is a competitive scholarship and candidates who fulfil the eligibility requirements outlined above, and who have been issued and accepted an offer of admission to a Master’s degree at Birmingham, are welcome to apply for this scholarship by:
- Completing the online form accurately and in full as any incomplete applications will not be considered and cannot be amended once submitted.
- Completing the scholarship application form once as any duplicate applications will not be considered and we will only review your first submission.
- Noting that the deadline to apply for this scholarship is 30 June.
Successful candidates will be formally notified via email. Regrettably, owing to the volume of applications received, we will only be contacting those who have been successfully selected. You can get more information from the official application webpage.