Applications are invited from doctoral students all over the World for the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme. The fellows will be sponsored to Finland for research study and are also entitled to a monthly stipend of EUR2,000 to cover living expenses during the fellowship period. Interested applicants are urged to apply now.
Check Also: United Nations Immersion Programme, Geneva
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme gives registered doctoral students the opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research on developing economies, and to work with our researchers in areas of mutual interest.
Visiting PhD fellows typically spend three consecutive months at UNU-WIDER before returning to their home institution. During their time in Helsinki, fellows prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. They may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- Travel grants to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution.
- Medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER).
- Monthly stipend of EUR 2,000 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their fellowship.
Level and Areas of Study
The fellowship opportunity is for doctoral students in fields related to economics.
Place of Study
The fellowship programme will take place at UNU-WIDER in Helsinki, Finland.
Applicants for the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme must fulfil the following requirements:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies.
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute.
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Applications from suitably qualified early-career, female, and developing country researchers are particularly encouraged.
- The programme is especially addressed at researchers at later stages of their PhD.
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme. Candidates who are interested in participating in this programme you should complete and submit the application form. As part of the application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae. Your PhD supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: email@example.com.
The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
Submission Deadline: Deadlines for submission of applications are 1 March and 1 September. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER for three months in the period of March-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER for three months during September-November.