The MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship is now open for applications. This Leadership Development Fellowship (LDF Fellowship) has provided leaders from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region with the opportunity to complete training in leadership, civic engagement, and social entrepreneurship. Emerging civic engagement and social entrepreneurship leaders across sectors in the MENA region can participate in a 5-stage, 12-month fellowship to identify innovative ways to address social and economic challenges in local communities. The LDF Fellowship is funded by the U.S. Department of State’s U.S.-Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) and implemented by World Learning.
The MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship is an intensive civic engagement and social entrepreneurship fellowship, and selected candidates are expected to fully participate in each stage of the program. The LDF Fellowship will take place over 12 months and include 5 stages.
The LDF Fellowship’s participation decisions are usually expected by the end of June, followed by the Fellowship Orientation Stage between June and August each year. The LDF Fellowship’s five stages usually hold over 12 months, starting from August of the year.
The MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship will cover the cost of international travel, lodging, and health insurance, and provide a modest living stipend to cover meals and incidentals during the in-person engagements.
MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship has two tracks.
For the English Track, which includes a visit to the U.S. as part of Stage Three, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Eligible Countries: Applicants must be from Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, or Yemen.
- English Fluency: Applicants must have strong written and oral English proficiency and be able to function comfortably in English-speaking academic and professional environments.
For the Arabic Track, which includes a visit to Tunisia as part of Stage Three, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Eligible Countries: Applicants must be from Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, or Yemen.
For both tracks of the MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be between 28 and 35 years of age.
- Applicants must have at least five years of professional work experience in a relevant field.
- Applicants must have a minimum of five years of civic engagement and/or social entrepreneurship experience.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants in both tracks must be able to function comfortably in Arabic-speaking academic and professional environments. Almost all virtual activities are conducted in Arabic.
- Applicants must be willing and able to participate fully in all five stages of the LDF Fellowship. Fellows will travel to a location to be determined for 10 days during Stage One and for 3 weeks to either the U.S. or Tunisia during Stage Three.
- Applicants must have the capacity and ability to immediately apply the knowledge and skills gained throughout the LDF Fellowship.
- Application for the MEPI Leadership Development Fellowship is available online until January 16, deadline.
- The application process includes completing an online application; recording a short video statement; and submitting a resume, a professional reference form, a certificate of graduation, and a passport copy.
- Apply using the Application Link provided.
- Do remember to review the FAQs page for common questions before you apply.