The Gates Cambridge Scholarships is open for applications to newly enrolled Master’s or PhD students of the Cambridge University, UK. The Gates scholarship is specifically targeted to Postgraduate students who are citizens of countries outside the UK, and have demonstrated exceptional academic excellence, a commitment to improving the lives of others and capacity for leadership. The program is highly competitive and fully funded, and having the application window between September and December yearly.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships was established in 2000 with a $210 million gift from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to help deserving graduate students attend the University of Cambridge, UK. This is the largest donation ever made to a British university to support the institution’s most esteemed postgraduate program.
So far, with only about 1.3% of applicants receiving an award in recent years, the scholarship remains one of the most difficult and prestigious in the world. Each Gates Scholarship includes funding for academic and professional development and covers the cost of a postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge. The program has more than 200 Gates Cambridge Scholars currently enrolled in academic programs, and more than 2000 students from more than 110 countries have received the Scholarship.
See Also: Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
Eligibility Criteria | The Gates Cambridge Scholarships
In order to be eligible to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, you must fulfill these criteria:
- Be a citizen of a country outside the UK.
- Be applying for one of the following full-time courses of study at the University of Cambridge – PhD; MPhil/MLitt; or a One-year postgraduate course.
- Be a current student at University of Cambridge.
- You are a current Cambridge student who wants to enroll in a new postgraduate program. For instance, you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarships to pursue a Ph.D. if you are currently pursuing an MPhil. Current Gates Cambridge Scholars who are pursuing a new degree may also apply for a second
- However, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pay for the remaining portion of a course if you have already begun it.
Courses not eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships
You are not able to apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarships with the following:
- Any Undergraduate degree, such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Assessment Criteria | Gates Cambridge Scholarships
The four primary parameters that applicants of Gates Cambridge Scholarships are evaluated are based on:
- Academic achievement – assessed through their transcripts, references, experience, and the potential to succeed on the chosen course.
- Reasons for choice of course – prove that you have the academic background, skill set, and expertise required to complete the course; and that it will advance your career goals.
- Commitment to improving the lives of others – by demonstrating your past, present, and future commitments to the societies you reside and work.
- Capacity for leadership – by outlining your past experiences in leadership.
Check Also: Yale University Scholarships to Study in USA | Application Guide
How to apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Applicants are to submit their applications at the Graduate Application Portal of the University for their admission and financial aid (Gates Cambridge and other funding).
- Fill out the application for admission to a course, a college spot, and the Gates Cambridge portion of the funding section to be eligible for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. When evaluating applications, Gates Cambridge has access to the complete application for admission and funding.
- Submit your application by the deadline for the Graduate Funding Competition listed in the University Course Directory.
- In the Application Form, you will give the typical information about yourself, your academic history, plans, and suitability plan for the suggested course.
- You can submit applications for various financial aid programs offered by the university and affiliated organizations in this section, including the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, which has its own subsection.
Application Window: Usually, applications open in September and closes in December 1, or January 5 depending the course applied for.