Applications now open for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM with a degree in a STEM subject and passionate about their studies. Such women could receive scholarships to study a master’s degree, or an early academic fellowship, in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics programme at a leading UK university.
The British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM: For the second year running, the British Council has launched a scholarship programme in partnership with 26 UK universities with the aim of benefiting women from the Americas, South Asia, South East Asia, Egypt, Turkey and Ukraine. We are looking for women with a background in STEM, who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM.
This scholarship programme aims to increase opportunities in STEM for girls and women. According to data from the UN Scientific Education and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), fewer than 30 percent of researchers worldwide are women and only 30 percent of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education.
Globally, female students’ enrolment is particularly low in Information and Communications Technology (three percent), natural science, mathematics and statistics (five percent), and engineering, manufacturing and construction (eight percent).
- Academic prestige – the UK’s universities are amongst the world’s leaders in STEM subjects.
- Economic support will include tuition fees, stipend, travel costs, visa and health coverage fees.
- Special support for mothers.
- English language support.
Level and Area of Studies
Master’s degree, or an Early Academic fellowship, in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics related disciplines.
Check Also: La Trobe Women in Master of IoT
Eligible applicants for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM, UK must be women who:
- are from the listed pre-selected countries.
- are able to take up a course of study in the UK for the academic year from September/October.
- can demonstrate a need for financial support.
- have an undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain access onto one of the pre-selected postgraduate courses at a UK university.
- can attain the level of English required for postgraduate study/research at a UK university.
- are active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their subject area.
- are passionate about their course of study and are willing to engage as committed British Council scholarship alumni.
Full eligibility criteria can be accessed in the official application web page.
Check Out: AI4D Scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africa
Applications for this British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM awards should be made directly to the participating universities. Please follow the links provided for in any participating university of your choice.
Application deadlines vary by institution / courses but range from February to April. Please check the deadline carefully with the university you plan to apply to, in order to avoid disappointment.