The British Council jointly with participating UK higher education institutions, offers British Council GREAT Scholarships to students from select 14 countries who may need support to pursue a one-year Taught Postgraduate studies in any of the participating UK institutions. The recipients of the scholarships have the opportunity to receive £10,000 towards their tuition fees for a wide range of one-year taught postgraduate courses.
In the 2023-24 academic year, 200 British Council Great Scholarships are offered by 49 universities across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The British Council GREAT Scholarships are available to students from the following countries. To see which scholarships are on offer in your country, click on the links with your Country name: Bangladesh; China; Egypt; Ghana; Kenya; India; Indonesia; Malaysia; Mexico; Nigeria; Pakistan; Thailand; Turkey; Vietnam
Each scholarship is jointly funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council with participating UK higher education institutions. As part of the programme, all GREAT scholars will be invited to a welcome event in the first semester and a networking event in the second semester.
Successful Awardees receive £10,000 towards their tuition fees for a wide range of one-year taught postgraduate courses.
See Also: Bristol Think Big Scholarship Programme
Level and Areas of Study
The British Council GREAT Scholarships are for a one-year taught Postgraduate courses in various disciplines. Please the participating institutions for details.
General Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible for the GREAT Scholarships, you must:
- be a citizen of the eligible countries – Bangladesh; China; Egypt; Ghana; Kenya; India; Indonesia; Malaysia; Mexico; Nigeria; Pakistan; Thailand; Turkey; Vietnam.
- have an undergraduate degree, be motivated, and have an interest in the proposed subject area.
- meet the English language requirement of the UK HEI.
- establish an engagement with the UK as a scholar, through personal and academic fulfilment.
- be willing to attend a networking event of all UK based GREAT scholars, to discuss experiences and capture perceptions of studying in the UK.
- be willing to maintain contact with the British Council and their HEI and act as an ambassador for the GREAT Scholarships.
- as an alumnus of the British Council GREAT Scholarships, be willing occasionally to speak to potential candidates about their own experience of studying in the UK.
How to apply: Eligible applicants for the British Council GREAT Scholarships should follow these steps:
- Visit the listed university page to find out more information and then follow the link through to the university’s website.
- Apply for individual scholarships following the instructions given on each universities’ scholarship webpages.
- The deadline to apply for a GREAT Scholarship varies according to each institution. Please check for details on individual institutions’ scholarship page.
- Successful scholars will be informed by individual universities on the result of their applications.
- Scholarship funding will be issued to successful scholars by individual universities after registration.