The Barbro Klein Fellowships Programme is now open to scholars from across disciplines in the humanities and social sciences, with an emphasis on research on cultural and social diversity, cultural heritage and creativity, societal structures and public resistance, and varieties of cultural expressions in local and global perspective. The fellowship is a newly launched research programme, which intends to advance the study of cultural diversity in a global perspective.
The Barbro Klein Fellowships programme intends to give fellows the opportunity to concentrate on their own research interests, free from the teaching and administrative obligations of ordinary university life. Fellows are to be active members of the scholarly community of the Collegium, and should participate in seminars and academic events beyond their own fields of specialization.
- The Fellows receives a monthly salary.
- Applicants may want to consider seeking additional financial support from
other sources, such as sabbatical leave.
- The Collegium will provide and pay for accommodation for Fellows
who do not live in the Stockholm–Uppsala region.
Level and Area of Study
Doctoral program in the areas of Humanity studies and Social Sciences.
Place of Study
The Swedish Collegium for Advanced Studies.
The fellowship programme is open to, but not limited to, talented younger scholars who must:
- Be in non-Western countries and of underrepresented gender.
- At the time of application, have held a PhD (or equivalent degree) for at least three years.
- Have a promising track record of independent achievements beyond the post-doctoral level, including significant publications, and be active in international fora.
- As an applicant, not hold a university position at the time of application.
- Apply for a full academic year or one semester.
The academic year runs from the beginning of September to mid-June. The autumn semester starts at the
beginning of September and ends in mid-December. The spring semester begins in early January and ends
- Applications for the Barbro Klein Fellowships must be submitted electronically via the Varbi online application system.
- Applications will be processed through the online system and only documents submitted via the system by the deadline will be considered.
- Please note that letters of reference are optional.
- Letters of reference must be uploaded by the candidate by the application deadline (it is not possible for referees to upload references into the online system or send them to SCAS).
- The Varbi system will be open for applications until