Yearly, the Australian Government through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade offers students of developing countries the opportunity to study in Australia fully-funded under a named scholarship programme referred to as the Australia Awards or Australia Awards Scholarships. Applications are currently invited from eligible candidates wishing to take advantage of the scholarship to study in Australia.
Australia Awards Scholarships are long-term awards administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The scholarships are provided to people from developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions.
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. The following benefits generally apply:
- full tuition fees
- return air travel—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- establishment allowance—a once only payment as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)—a compulsory program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on living and studying in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)—provided to cover the scholar’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees—if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- supplementary academic support may be available to ensure a scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience
- fieldwork (for research awards and Masters by coursework which have a research component where fieldwork is compulsory) may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
Number of Awards
The number of scholarships awarded varies per year. Up to 5000 plus can be awarded in a year.
Level and Area of Studies
Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Master’s) study programs in a wide range of academic discipline and study areas.
Eligibility and other information specific to your country are provided as follows;
Information on how to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship are available through the country-specific links provided.