The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) invites applications for the Martin and Rose Wachtel Cancer Research Award. This annual programme awards any researcher who has made a mark in the field of cancer research. All applicants must be must have performed research during the previous 10 years.
AAAS and Science Translational Medicine invite applications for the AAAS Martin and Rose Wachtel Cancer Research Award. This annual award, funded by an endowment established through a generous bequest from Martin L. Wachtel, honors early-career investigators who have performed outstanding work in the field of cancer research. Entrants must have received their Ph.D. or M.D. within the last 10 years (in 2013 or later).
The award winner(s) will be invited to deliver a public lecture on their research and receive a cash award of about US$25,000. The award-winning Essay(s) will be published in Science Translational Medicine.
Level and Area of Studies
Research on the theme of Cancer.
Place of Study
Eligibility and Criteria
- Each entrant must be a researcher in the field of cancer, with an advanced degree (Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M.) received within the last 10 years. If the applicant has more than one advanced degree, the 10 years are counted from the date that all degrees were completed in the case of uninterrupted training, such as a dual degree M.D.-Ph.D. program. However, if the applicant completed one degree, left to do research or other activities (including residency or fellowship), and then returned to study for an additional degree, the 10 years are counted from the time of completion of the first advanced degree. Residency, fellowship, or postdoctoral training do not extend the timeline.
- The research must have been performed during the previous 10 years.
- The entrant must have performed or personally directed the work described in the Essay.
- Employees and affiliates of AAAS and their relatives are not eligible for the prize.
- Applicants who did not win are welcome to reapply as long as they are otherwise eligible for the award. Previous winners and honorable mentions are not eligible to apply again.
There is no nationality restriction.
1 February every year.