The Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship [Fully Funded] program is sponsored by the Japanese government. The Graduate School of Science as well as the University of Tokyo, nominates eligible students to the MEXT program.
Applicants for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship to be nominated by the Graduate School of Science as well as the number to be subsequently nominated by the University of Tokyo to MEXT, shall be finalized after the application period has closed. In the last round (application for 2021 entrance) each Graduate School was allowed to nominate at most one applicant, and the University of Tokyo was allowed to nominate at most three applicants to MEXT.
- It is a Fully Funded 2- or 3-years Master’s and Doctoral Scholarship program
- The monthly stipends vary with the annual fiscal budgets, and stipend for AY2022 are yet to be determined. For reference, the AY2021 actual amounts144,000 yen/month (Master’s Program), or 145,000 yen/month (Doctoral Program), with (an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen for research in some designated regions of the country).
Level and Area of Studies
Masters, Doctoral and in the field of Sciences.
Eligibility and Criteria
Eligible candidates for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship should be International students with outstanding academic records who;
- Wish to enter Japan in October, 2022 as a new student, and
- Wish to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- Have grade points shall be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
- Meets one of the criteria given under “(7) Language Proficiency“
- Please refer to (11) Non-eligibility to confirm your eligibility.
We are only able to nominate an applicant who holds one of the nationalities specified by MEXT. You can click here to see the list of priority nationalities.
Applicants must submit the required documents to apply for the MEXT Scholarship after applying for admission to the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program). The tracking information for the shipment must then be submitted before the application deadline, using the URL given in the email sent out when the electronic application is submitted. For an application to count, both the Electronic application and the proof of the paper-form shipment dispatch must be submitted before the application deadline through the respective online forms.