The Graduate Dean’s Awards at University of Nevada is a combination of Graduate Fellowships and Merit scholarships awarded each academic year to an elite selection of master’s and doctoral students who show the potential to make substantive contributions to their discipline.
The awards are targeted to both domestic and international students who meet the nomination procedures and eligibility requirements for each type of award.
Graduate Dean’s fellowships
The Graduate Dean’s Awards: Dean’s Fellowships are limited to incoming domestic and international doctoral students in any approved University of Nevada, Reno doctoral program (Ph.D. or doctorate). There is a maximum of six, one-year fellowships in the amount of $45,000 per academic year ($22,500 per semester). The fellowship also qualifies non-Nevada residents for a waiver of out-of-state tuition.
- The applicant must be a fully admitted, incoming domestic or international student who has been offered admission to a degree-granting doctoral program (Ph.D. or doctorate) at the University of Nevada, Reno at the time of nomination.
- The applicant must meet the minimum requirements for admission to a doctoral degree-granting program at the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School, either as a domestic or international student.
- Fellows must maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid throughout the period of the fellowship and must enroll in nine or more units per semester.
- During the period of the Graduate Dean’s Fellowship award, the student cannot hold other fellowships or a Graduate Dean’s Merit Scholarship.
- Fellows also cannot hold a position of employment with the University or elsewhere during the fall and spring semesters of the fellowship award. Summer employment during the months of June and July at the end of the fellowship is permitted.
See Also: Fulbright Foreign Students Program
Graduate Dean’s Merit Scholarships
These Merit Scholarships are another of the Graduate Dean’s Awards open to both domestic and international master’s and doctoral students in any approved University of Nevada, Reno graduate program (Ph.D., doctorate, MFA or master’s). For spring nomination deadlines, only incoming graduate students are eligible. For the fall nomination deadline, both incoming and currently enrolled graduate students are eligible, but preference will be given to incoming students in doctoral programs. The amount of the one-year scholarship is $10,000 ($5,000 per semester) for new admits or $5,000 ($2,500 per semester) for continuing grad students per academic year.
The eligible candidates for this awards must:
- be a fully admitted, incoming domestic or international student who has been offered admission to a degree-granting doctoral or master’s program (Ph.D., doctorate, MFA or master’s) at the University of Nevada, Reno at the time of nomination,
- or a fully admitted currently enrolled domestic or international student in a degree-granting doctoral or master’s program (Ph.D., doctorate, MFA or master’s)
- for incoming Students, meet the minimum requirements for admission to a doctoral or master’s degree-granting program at the University, either as a domestic or international student.
- Scholarship recipients must meet the requirements for satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.
- Scholarship recipients must enroll in 6 or more units during the fall and spring semesters.
- Graduate assistantship status is not a criterion for the scholarship, and both graduate assistants and non-graduate assistants are eligible.
- Full-time University faculty (> 0.50 FTE) are ineligible for the scholarship.
- The budget is in $2,500 increments and represents the 50% of non-need access funds available for the year, less the amount budgeted in the Graduate Dean’s Fellowship.
To apply for the Graduate Dean’s Awards:
- Go to the application portal, create an account and complete all forms.
- Due to strong spam filters, we recommend that you do not use a work email address as your contact email.
- Upload and attach all required documents.
- Once you have submitted names and emails for recommendations, recommendation requests are automatically generated.
- Do not wait for recommendations to be returned. Continue with the application process in order to meet your deadline.
- Complete a Paypal payment for application: $60 domestic and $95 international. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Once your application and payment have been submitted, you cannot add documents.
International students should read the international requirements.
Application Window: February 5th to 26th, and March 1st to April 1st.