Applications are currently being invited from outstanding students of Japanese religions, regardless of nationality for the CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary at SOAS, University of London.
The award program is for a full time one year Masters and PhD funding of up to £5,000 for one year only.
The Centre for the Study of Japanese Religions offers a CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary at SOAS, University of London to UK/EU and Overseas students who are interested Japanese Religions to apply.
The total value of the scholarship is £5,000 for one year only for full-time programmes, providing a contribution towards fees. If the successful candidate receives a grant to cover fees from another funding body, the bursary can be used towards maintenance.
Total value of the scholarship is £5,000 for one year only for full-time programmes.
Level and Area of Studies
Taught Masters (MA) and Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) in Japanese Religions.
Place of Studies
SOAS, University of London.
- Applicants must possess an outstanding academic record.
- Taught Masters (MA) applicants must focus on Japanese Religions / Japanese Buddhism. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of their application and reflected in their choice of modules.
- Taught Masters (MA) and Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) applicants should give evidence in the statement of their application of their ability to use sources in Japanese.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas candidates.
- Applicants must have applied to SOAS but are not required to have received an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline.
- An offer will need to have been received by the time the relevant panel meets to discuss scholarship applications.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 2 June.
The eligible programmes for the CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary must be:
- Full-time Research Degree: Religions and Philosophies in Japanese Religions (Department of Religions & Philosophies, School of History, Religions & Philosophies).
- Full-time MA Buddhist Studies focusing on Japanese Religions/ Japanese Buddhism.
- Full-time MA Buddhist Studies and Intensive Language (Japanese) focusing on Japanese Buddhism.
- New admissions only (programmes starting in September).
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received by 02 May.
- Applicants must submit an application for their programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for this scholarship in order to be considered. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- You will need to have a firm offer for your programme by the time the scholarship panel meet. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 21 March).
- Late or incomplete scholarship applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
The successful candidate with an offer to study at SOAS will be notified by the end of July of the year. If you have not been notified by then, assume that your application has not been unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
There is a two-step procedure to apply for this CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary at SOAS, University of London:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Students can get guidance on the requirements for applying for admissions, and information on what makes an application by using ‘How to Apply’ tab.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship on or before 02 May.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form.
Website and Application Link