The State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China (hereinafter called the Scholarship) for the purpose of providing ﬁnancial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Paciﬁc and the Indian Oceans and African, American developing countries to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
Eligibility and Requirements
- The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Paciﬁc and its surrounding island countries, or an African, American developing country.
- The applicant must apply for the postgraduate program of ocean-related specialties.
- Any applicant who is currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors will be given high priority.
- The applicant for master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree and be usually under the age of 40.
- The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree and be usually under the age of 45.
To apply this Marine Scholarship Program, students must submit the documents as follow:
- Photocopy of last degree certificate. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
- Academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- The applicant’s study or research plan in China (in Chinese or English).
- Two letters of recommendation (in Chinese or English) by Professors or associate Professors.
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (downloadable from CSC’s website) completed in Chinese or English. The applicant must strictly take all the examination as required by the Form. Leaving a blank or absence of signature of the doctor or seal of the hospital will make the form invalid.