- Target: International students
- Benefits: Full scholarship
- Level and Discipline: Research program in various fields
- Host Institution: Any institution – Germany
- Deadline: Expired 1264 days ago
The Freethinker Research Fellowships are now open. Scholars from all over the world are welcome to apply. 10 to 15 free-spirit fellowships are awarded every year. The closing date of application is 10 October 2019.
The Volkswagen Foundation is offering Freethinker Fellowships to pursue research. International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme. The offer is aimed at exceptional researchers who wish to move between established research fields and engage in risky science. The non-profit Volkswagen Foundation supports research projects in all disciplines. In the context of changing funding initiatives, it gives targeted impetus to science.
A second funding period of two or three years is possible, whereby the total funding period (incl. the first funding phase) is a maximum of eight years. Prerequisite is one through the foundation carried out a positive evaluation and a clear perspective for the continuation of the position of Fellows from the host institution. Again, flexibility is given for the second phase, a change to another institution is possible. The funding for the second Depending on project-specific requirements, the funding phase ranges between 0.5 and 1 million euros, the total funding for both funding periods must not exceed EUR 2.2 million.
Level and Area of Studies
Research program in any field.
Place of Study
Eligibility and Criteria
The following formal requirements are also placed on the applicants:
- Promotion is at least one year and max. four years back (referring to the date of the exam [Disputation / Rigorosum] in relation to the deadline of the call for tenders).
- Integration into a university or non-university research institution in Germany with the beginning of the Fellowship.
- Already completed change of the academic environment and place, at the latest with the beginning of the Fellowship (Return to working context of the doctoral phase only in exceptional cases).
- Already completed stay abroad, at the latest integrated into the requested project.
International students are welcome to apply.
See the link below.
10 October 2019.